Wednesday 6 June 2012

I wish I'd had a Wendy

I learned the truth at seventeen
That the future is not certain, decisions not clean.
At seventeen I really could have done with Wendy.
I learned a truth that even passing exams with ease,
Would mean ‘Not going to Oxbridge? Next please.’
I wish I’d had a Wendy.

I learned the truth at nineteen
That the wrong university course might have been foreseen.
At nineteen I really needed a Wendy.
I found myself, uncomprehending, alone, likely to fail
A lecturer understood, arranged a transfer, I could safely bail.
I should have had a Wendy.

Wendy is the guide we all should have when still at the choosing stage
An oracle, a guru, a pointer to a choice
A real school career councillor who gives us options, a balance, a gauge
An independent voice.
Not head teachers obsessed about results and the number of A star passes
But oddly don’t mention all those who struggled daily in their classes.
Or parents who seek bragging rights about offers to a Redbrick college
That this may not be right for their child, they may never acknowledge
They all should all listen to Wendy.

I learned the truth late at fifty six
That dreams and aspirations can still be realistic.
At seventeen you need a Wendy.
Your future might be moulded around something you really want to be
With information, guidance, facts and a chance to foresee,
You should wish you had a Wendy.

No comments: