Friday 18 May 2007

Mrs Eyes on the Prize writes ...

“I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.”
Rita Rudner

My husband is a lovely man and has many talents. He can wire up a cooker and blow the fuses in the entire house with the best of them, he can fall off a stool and break an occasional table with just his forehead and quite often put things back together that he has previously dismantled but he is not good at hanging around the house.

Without the structure of the working day he gets restless. He wants to stand in front of the cooker when I’m trying to put things in the oven. He wants to stand behind me while I’m washing the dishes and worst of all he gets a pressing need to use the computer to blog when I want to use it for work. I know there’s hundreds/tens/some readers out there whose day won’t be complete until they’ve learned the vagaries of our postal deliveries and bin collections but I do rely on the computer for my work and I like to devote a few hours in the day when I’m not hoovering or helping with homework to doing said work. This blogging malarkey can not be done while I’m prodding my crevice tool under the sideboard – that’s the time when Eyes is telling me his theory of temporal shift – no, it has to be done as my rear end connects with the computer stool and my hand rests on the mouse.

It’s not easy when your partner is home nearly as much as you are. We home workers are used to running the domestic side of things and get quite territorial when someone else starts using the dining room table as a desk and talking when you’re trying to listen to Radio 4. Even if they offer to perform some of this drudgery, it’s still not right because then you feel a bit redundant yourself and start wanting to hang around in front of the cooker. By the time you’ve enjoyed another economical meal based on liver because it’s nutritious and cheap and sat down for the evening you’ve said all you’ve got to say during the day and time can hang a bit heavy.

Now it's his turn to feel territorial so I'm having to promise that this will be my first and last guest appearance on his blog.

No comments: